Everyone wants to install the ideal electricity system in their homes so that the overall load remains balanced. Any fluctuation in the load can cause severe issues. If the AC is working, you cannot iron your clothes. And if the iron is working, the water motor will not be working at full capacity. Such a situation can even cause blackouts in any room, and the user gets confused about what to do and how to counter this issue. This problem arises due to the Power Distribution Board (DB) fault.
To avoid all these issues related to electricity load distribution, you should understand the whole process of Power DB. In this way, you can double-check all your electrician’s work during the installation. So if you want all the relevant and accurate information related to Power DB, you must scroll down this page and read the article.
What is Power Distribution Board (Power DB)?
In the construction of every house, a central control point is fixed at some specific point. The main purpose of this control point is to transfer the electricity from the Wapda from the solar generator or UPS to all other electrical appliances at your home. A dedicated box is used for this purpose where breakers are also installed, which is called Power DB.
Types of Power Distribution Boards
There are two types of Power Distribution Boards:
Outdoor Power DBs
In new and advanced housing societies, power is distributed through an underground supply using meter energy. In this system, outdoor power DB is used, and connections are made.
Indoor Power DBs
While indoor power DBs are used inside the houses, a system with all the breakers and buttons are attached. This single board distributes and manages the power to all electrical appliances.
Why Power DB is Used?
Power DB is used so that:
- Electricity distribution in the whole building can be managed smoothly from a single point.
- Load management and power can be backed-up automatically.
- In case of any fault like a blackout, the financial and human life loss can be avoided.
How is a Power DB Installed?
Generally, the Power DB is installed on the walls under the expert’s guidance. During the construction, a space is left as per the drawing and dimensions of the board, after which it is placed on the wall. Using the steel frame for power DB is important as a wooden frame can get infected with the termite.
Here are the primary components of Power DB that you must check before starting the procedure:
- Bus Bar
- Circuit Breakers
- Phase Indication Lamps
- Voltmeter / Ammeter
Key Point: It is important to note that MCB, MMCB or ELCB breakers are used in houses.
Important Points to Keep in Mind While Purchasing the Material
- Choose the best company to purchase the main breakers and inch circuit breakers.
- Some dealers in the market sell used or refurb breakers. So always choose the authorized dealer.
- Use your phone to scan a QR or barcode to check the warranty and manufacturing date of the breakers.
- Make sure that DB does not have any loose wire or jumper.
Key Points to Consider While Installing Power DB
- All branch breakers should have one side made of copper, and make sure to connect the power and the light circuit wire on the other side.
- Power DB’s input and output should remain connected to the conduit and wiring.
- Seal the Power DB’s input and exit to keep it safe from the termite.
- Also, seal the spare conduit with an end cap and wiring conduit with PU foam or fire mortar.
- Install the Power DB where it remains easily accessible and should not be covered.
Is One Power DB Enough for a House?
If a small house has a single energy meter, then one Power DB is enough. But a multi-storey house should have more than one Power DBs. But in such a case, connect the Power DBs of all floors with a spare conduit so that load distribution can go on without an open wire in case of power failure. This way, you will not face the issue of finishing at your house.
How to Avoid Electricity Blackout Issue
Sometimes you face a situation where if one of the appliances is working, the other does not. Or one part or room of the house faces a blackout. You need to understand two important things here:
- If your house has a single-phase connection, you should use the single-phase DB.
- In the same way, if the connection is three-phase, you should use the three-phase DB.
An electricity blackout usually happens when your electrician has connected your room with one phase. If that specific phase has some problem from Wapda’s end, your room will go into the blackout.
To cope with this situation, you should distribute the load uniformly in all rooms. You should keep all the appliances like AC, fan and power circuit in a room on different phases. In this way, you will not face a blackout and will also save electricity.
How to Resolve Termite Issue in Power DBs
While grounding electricity wires, you make the earth pit and do conduiting for service providers. Due to this reason, termite travels from one place to the other with a lot of ease, and the whole system gets vulnerable. So if you have a wooden Power DB box, there is a strong chance that termites will erode it. To resolve this issue, seal the conduit and use the anti-termite spray in the pipes.
We hope you have enough idea of how you can balance and distribute power in your house. In this way, you will not only be able to avoid blackouts but also minimize electricity bills. If you want more information about Power Distribution Board or any similar electrical process, contact us through our website, tameereasy.com.